Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vocal and Guitar Lessons

I had my first real vocal and guitar lessons last night, and I am ecstatic. :)

Both of my teachers seemed to understand instinctively what I was looking to get from these lessons, and in vocal, we explored warm up and breathing techniques, and then explored my range, which I am happy to say is ~2 1/2 octaves, from D_ to G. My vocal teacher thinks I can probably extend that upwards a little bit, which would be nice, although really, none of the songs I know use those high notes, so not that important.


What I would like to achieve is better control over my voice, and better projection, etc.

After spending 1/2 an hour down in the basement of Long & McQuade, I rushed up two flights stairs a couple of minutes late for my guiter lesson, which was equally promising.

My fingertips are a little tender, and I have to cut off my finger nails, which is incredible annoying, but I learned the right way to sit when holding the guitar, I learned a VERY handy finger exercise to help me get used to holding down the strings right, I learned a couple basic strumming patterns, and I learned a few of the easier chords. This week, I am to practice chord transitions and strumming using House of the Rising Sun, which seems to be one of the first songs that everybody learns on the guitar.

I also learned how to read tabs, which is new for me, although all of the music I own is for vocal, piano, and guitar, so not sure how much I will actually use it.

All in all, signing up for these lessons was a spur of the moment decision on Saturday afternoon that I am very happy about.

Knock two more things off my bucket list!

No comments: